MCLC: is Mo Yan a govt stooge

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 17 09:38:15 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: pjmooney <pjmooney at mac.com>
Subject: is Mo Yan a govt stooge

Source: Rectified.name (10/15/12):
http://www.rectified.name/2012/10/15/is-mo-yan-a-stooge-for-the-chinese-gov
ernment/

Is Mo Yan a Stooge for the Chinese Government?
By Brendan O'Kane

Spoiler alert: in keeping with the general rule about headlines posed as
yes-or-no questions, the short answer is ‘no.’ The more interesting
question is: why are people insinuating that he is?

Yo, man, Mo Yan. Even before the Swedish Academy announced Mo Yan as the
2012 Nobel Literature Prize winner, the Chinese internet was abuzz with
discussion of his work and his relationship with the Chinese government.
(Raymond Zhou’s October 9 piece in the China Daily
<http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2012-10/09/content_15803010.htm> gives
a good, even-handed overview of the discussion.) The announcement on
Thursday night that Mo had become the first Chinese citizen to win the
Nobel for literature set off a miniature firestorm of criticism, almost
all of it from liberal-minded Chinese Twitter users, that seems mostly to
have centered on several issues: Mo’s silence (now broken
<http://news.yahoo.com/nobel-winner-mo-urges-china-dissidents-freedom-09434
3893.html>) on Liu Xiaobo, his vice-chair position in the China Writers’
Association (作协), his role in an unbeliev– all-too-believably boneheaded
event in which 100 authors copied out Chairman Mao’s Talks at the Yan’an
Forum on Literature and Art
<http://latitude.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/chairman-mao-in-their-own-han
d/>, his behavior at the 2009 Frankfurt Book Fair, and a bit of Weibo
doggerel that he allegedly wrote in support of Bo Xilai. Some of the
criticism is fair, but much of it isn’t, and I feel honor-bound, as a
translator and as an EU citizen and fellow Nobelist, to point out which is
which.

There’s no question that Mo’s win was welcomed by the Chinese government.
CCP propaganda chief Li Changchun wrote a letter to the CWA congratulating
Mo on the win,coverage occupied front pages of newspapers across the
country
<http://www.danwei.com/chinas-front-pages-go-to-town-on-mo-yans-nobel-prize
/>, and foreign media coverage of the win was translated in Cankao Xiaoxi
(albeit in censored form, as Bruce Humes shows
<http://www.bruce-humes.com/?p=7274>). Given China’s Nobel complex
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/11/mo-yan-nobel-prize-from-litera
ture-china-complex>, however — or, more charitably, China’s sense that a
country with more than 2,000 years of literature under its belt should
have a slightly higher profile on the international literary stage than
China currently does — a win by any novelist not banned outright would in
all likelihood have been welcomed just as warmly.

Mo may not be a ‘dissident’ in the model of Liu Xiaobo or Vaclav Havel,
but his work is filled with depictions of the venality, cruelty, and
stupidity of power and authority. The Garlic Ballads (天堂蒜苔之歌) opens
with a
farmer who organized a protest against the corrupt local government being
arrested in front of his blind daughter. In The Republic of Wine (酒国), one
of Mo’s more experimental works, the protagonist is invited by Diamond
Jin, the corrupt Vice-Minister of the Liquorland Municipal Party Committee
Propaganda Bureau, to a boozy banquet at which the pièce de résistance is
braised child. The still-untranslated Frogs
<http://www.granta.com/New-Writing/Frogs> (蛙), whose heroine is a midwife
turned abortionist, is an explicit critique of China’s one-child policy.
Red Sorghum (红高粱家族), the novel that made Mo Yan (and Zhang Yimou)
famous
more than 20 years ago, depicts the Communist guerrillas in a decidedly
unflattering light, and they don’t come off much better in his 1996 novel
Big Breasts and Wide Hips (丰乳肥臀). His more recent Life and Death are
Wearing Me Out (生死疲劳) begins its survey of the past 50 years of Chinese
history with the protagonist Ximen Nao being unjustly shot in the head in
the land reform struggles that followed the establishment of the PRC in
1949. One of the recurring themes in Mo’s novels is the juxtaposition of
personal tragedy with the long, slow-motion tragedy of history, and
whether you think he does this successfully or not, it’s hard to imagine
coming away from his novels thinking that they are encomia to the
Communist Party.

Mo’s position in the China Writers’ Association is discomfiting to
observers, but the CWA is a big and diverse organization containing
talented, edgy authors as well as Audi-riding talent vacuums. Mo has
written movingly about growing up as a hungry, lonely child in an
impoverished backwater, and his novels show a keen awareness of the
smallness of individuals in the face of forces beyond their control. Given
this, it seems unsurprising that Mo would prefer the security of a
position that offers him some kind of official cover. As Mo said in 2009