MCLC: Mo Yan wins the Nobel lit prize (13,14,15)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 17 09:38:23 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Alexander Huang <acyhuang at gwu.edu>
Subject: Mo Yan wins Nobel lit prize (13)

Voice of America interviews of Alex Huang and others on Mo Yan's Nobel
Prize in Literature:

http://www.voanews.com/content/nobel-prize-for-literature-spotlights-organi
zations-trouble-past-with-china/1524950.html

Alex

From: Joseph Allen <jrallen at umn.edu>
Subject: Mo Yan wins the Nobel lit prize (14)

I have enjoyed following all the discussion of Mo Yan as a writer and
political figure.  But there is a political problem almost entirely absent
from the discussion.  The role of his translator, Howard Goldblatt, in the
process of this important recognition. The media's continued rendering of
Mo Yan as transparently available in English, without almost any
acknowledgement of Goldblatt's important and creative work, is expected;
but a similar blindness in the academic discussion is out of sync with
what translation studies have been teaching us since, at the very least,
Larry Venuti's _Invisibility of the Translator_(1994).