MCLC: Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 5 08:55:20 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics

Dear colleagues --

The Graduate Association of Chinese Linguistics (GACL) and the Institute
for Chinese Studies (ICS) are pleased to host the Workshop on Innovations
in Cantonese Linguistics (WICL), which is a 1-1/2 day event that will take
place on 16-17 March 2012 in Hagerty Hall, on The Ohio State University
campus. The workshop takes place immediately after the last day of
Examination Week at Ohio State.

We have an exciting program, which is online at the WICL website:

http://ling.osu.edu/wicl

The poster for the event is at:

http://ling.osu.edu/wicl/doc/WICL_poster_lores.pdf
<http://ling.osu.edu/wicl/doc/WICL_poster_lores.pdf>

This workshop is, to the best of our knowledge, the first time that an
event is organized specifically on Cantonese Linguistics in North America.
We have put together what we hope will be an exciting and informative
program, with opportunities to talk among presenters and attendees. We
have three keynote speakers, two from the U.S. and one from Hong Kong:

Professor Anne Oi-Kan Yue 余靄芹 (University of Washington)
Professor Alan C. L. Yu 余梓麟 (University of Chicago)
Professor Benjamin Ka-Yin T’sou 鄒嘉彥 (Hong Kong Institute of Education)

In addition, presenters come from three continents (North America, Europe
and Asia), and five countries/regions (U.S., Canada, United Kingdom,
Italy, and Hong Kong). The presenters include both faculty members and
graduate students; and among them are current OSU graduate students as
well as OSU alumni who are now tenured faculty members at other
institutions, both domestic and abroad.

The event is free and open to the publc. If you are interested and plan to
attend the workshop -- either just some of the sessions or all of them --
please RSVP by March 9 by filling out the online attendance sign-up sheet
below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuWEKf_FakAqdHlCWXJ2Tk1vUG4zRU
NsYUZBcjlBalE

Thank you in advance for filling out the sign-up sheet, since that would
assist us in planning the event, preparing name tags, etc. Needless to
say, on-site ("walk in") registration (i.e., signing our attendance sheet
on the premise, etc.) is also welcome. If you have any questions, feel
free to contact us at <wicl at ling.osu.edu>. Also feel free to pass this
announcement to others who might be interested in attending our workshop.

We look forward to your attendance and participation on March 16 and 17!

Sincerely,
Marjorie Chan
Director, Institute for Chinese Studies
East Asian Studies Center
Office of International Affairs

On behalf of the WICL Team:
Marjorie Chan and Tsz-Him Tsui, co-chairs, WICL Organizing Committee
Yutian Tan, Litong Chen, and Zhiguo Xie, members, WICL Organizing Committee
Jeffrey Chan, ICS Assistant Director

Organizers:  Graduate Association of Chinese Linguistics & Institute for
Chinese Studies

Sponsors:  Buckeye Language Network (Arts and Sciences Innovation grant
for the Study of Language Variation (SoLV)); Graduate Association of
Chinese Linguistics; Institute for Chinese Studies; Arts and Humanities,
College of Arts and Sciences; Council on Student Affairs; Department of
East Asian Languages and Literatures; Department of Linguistics; and East
Asian Studies Center (U.S. Department of Education Title VI Grant).