[Heb-NACO] Romanisation of בביזנטיון

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 25 10:53:08 EDT 2023

Hi Vanessa:

The HCM pp.17-18 "Foreign loan words" discusses this point briefly, but the
only guidance provided is " A few loan words are also treated as though
exempt from the rules governing the aspiration/ non-aspiration of b/v,
k/kh, and p/f when preceded by an open syllable."  There are a couple of
examples, but that's the extent of it.
For my money, I'm fine with either in the absence of a solid rule, but if I
had to pick one, "be-Vizantyon" based on the example of "be-Vavel" from the
Bible e.g. Jeremiah 51:42.

My two cents

Bob

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 6:09 AM Freedman, Vanessa via Heb-naco <
heb-naco at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> How would you Romanise בביזנטיון (in Byzantium)? I would think
> be-Vizanṭyon but OCLC 1378074102 has be-Bizanṭyon. Would you retain the B
> after be- because it’s a foreign loan word? Thanks Vanessa Vanessa Freedman
> Subject Liaison Librarian:
>
> How would you Romanise  בביזנטיון (in Byzantium)? I would think
> be-Vizanṭyon but OCLC 1378074102 has be-Bizanṭyon. Would you retain the B
> after be- because it’s a foreign loan word?
>

> Thanks
>

> Vanessa
>

> Vanessa Freedman
>
> Subject Liaison Librarian: Hebrew & Jewish Studies
>

> Pronouns: she/her
>
> Work pattern: Tues-Thurs 10am to 6pm
>

> Main Library
>
> UCL Library Services
>
> Library, Culture, Collections & Open Science
>
> Gower Street
>
> London
>
> WC1E 6BT
>

> Tel: 020 7679 2598
>
> E-mail: v.freedman at ucl.ac.uk
>
> Twitter: @UCLHJSLibrary @vrfreedman
>
> Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library__;!!KGKeukY!2vnEP_agcte2wulEzeo91ExYv5Cmswl8evrqThq4Rhv2VBsLrgpPSiOuoqdv9Rip2ceT9GB-Qi3P2r81T4y-CTFD9OgrQq5VCQ$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library__;!!KGKeukY!0NLGSmZCIJq7_oWDMaNiYxLaV6RJ4ntfT_nwD58UlBCk-TdFb_AShY4oAQlh3H3j88cBfRzqqTpsc-8MeYu3Yk7DjLA$>
>

> **Please remember the environment and only print this if necessary**

Bob Talbott

Hebraica cataloger

UC Berkeley

130 Doe

Berkeley, CA 94720

Lue musaraba shu biburueada Bilgameshe nam habadabkure.