[Heb-NACO] Correcting dates in authority record 010 n 95001542

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 2 11:38:30 EDT 2017

Dear Rini,

The reason that the record has the note about the 100 field is because of the presence of 2 elements for differentiating the heading, not because of the presence of the dates. Catalogers are instructed to review the heading so that it can be recoded to RDA. In this case we need to look at LC-PCC PS 9.19.1.8 which tells us "

LC practice/PCC practice for Optional addition: Unless otherwise changing an existing authorized access point (e.g., conflict), do not change an existing AACR2 or RDA heading merely to add or remove an Other designation. "

So we would routinely consider this a valid heading and recode it.

However, what you are asking about is a change of date of birth.

Historically best practices have been that if we have a conflict between two dates (one in an existing heading and supporting 670) and another conflicting date in a different resource or reference source, then we should attempt to break the conflict with a third resource that supports one of the other two dates.

in the absence of a conflict breaker, I would strongly encourage you not to change the heading at this time, but record the information that you have found from the David Assaf book in a new 670. This will save a lot of time on having to update headings in the LCNAF and/or Bib file.

Let me know if this is clear or you have further questions.

best, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica

Metadata Dept.

Stanford University Libraries

Stanford, CA 94305-6004

ph: 650-725-9953