[Heb-NACO] Correcting dates in authority record 010 n 95001542

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 2 11:07:49 EDT 2017

Well, how much confidence do you have in Assaf's new dates?  I ask because
the dates currently in the record come from EJ.  EJ isn't correct 100% of
the time, but it is one of the sources we favor.  Without independent
confirmation, it's a question of weighing EJ vs Assaf.

Solution one: Polite reference without adjustmnent -- No changes to the
access point, but a 670 is added
670  [work, dates]: $b p.[whatever] (Mr. Assaf contends that Dov Baer's
date of birth was actually ....)
This would probably be my tactic, depending.

Solution two: Reading the two sources as equally reliable: If one
determines that Assaf and EJ are equally reliable on a point where one
cannot get independent confirmation, the date of birth becomes uncertain.
The changes one would make then would mean removing the date of birth from
the access points, so that the $d portion would look like this: $d -1876.
This is probably the least satisfying of the options.

Solution three: Assaf victorious: Reading Assaf as more reliable than EJ on
this point means changing the dates, as you suggested in your email.

Like I said, option one would be my choice, depending.  Option two has less
appeal. Option three would probably be the popular choice, but I wouldn't
go this route unless Assaf provided a note of some sort citing a text that
I could check.

My two cents. Let your conscience  be your guide.

Also, the new EJ has a new form of his name: v.8, p. 256 "Dov Baer of
Lyova."