[Heb-NACO] RDA - call for order :-)

Yossi Galron jgalron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 12:37:58 EST 2013

Colleagues,
Can we decide how to record 245 field in Hebrew books that have parallel
title and sub-titles in English (or any other language)

I suggest to be consistent and have it as follows:

245 xx  $a [Hebrew title] : $b [Hebrew subtitle] = [English title] :
[English sub-title] / $c [Author(s)]

and then a 246 field with the English title and English sub-title.

Right now I see different practices:

[Hebrew title] $b = [English title] : [Hebrew sub-title] ... ignoring the
English sub-title

and other variations.

I think the English sub-title is important especially for non fluent Hebrew
readers and in many cases it helps the patron to understand the contents of
the book.

So I call also not to ignore the English sub-title and record it in the 245
field.

Any comments?

Yossi

Joseph (Yossi) Galron-Goldschlaeger
E-Mail: galron.1 at osu.edu  or jgalron at gmail.com
Tel.: (614) 292-3362,  Fax: (614)292-1918
Lexicon of Modern Hebrew Literature: http://go.osu.edu/hebrewlit