[Heb-NACO] Fwd: conventional collective titles

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 10 15:48:04 EDT 2012

Dear catalogers,

       Attached is a proposed list of collective titles for rabbinic materials in Hebrew and English that can be used for compilations by a single author, whether complete works in a single form or selections of works in a single form as prescribed in RDA 6.2.2.10.2 and 6.2.2.10.3.

       We have been advised by LC that we should attempt to “ use the language of the catalog ( English ) so long as there is an English language term.  If there is no English language term, use whatever would best identify that form of work … Extra points if the term is one used in a controlled vocabulary like LCSH (sh 85113223 ), but not a requirement."

       We would like to solicit your comments and feedback on this list. Please send them to Heb-NACO or Joan ( jbie at loc.gov ) and/or Heidi ( lerner at stanford.edu ) by Sept. 30. The AJL R&S Cataloging Committee will then collectively review the list and comments and make a final recommendation or decision on the contents of the list.

       Thank you,
       Joan Biella (Senior Descriptive Cataloger, Library of Congress)
       Heidi G. Lerner (Chair, AJL R&S Cataloging Committee)

Heidi G. Lerner
Hebraica/Judaica Cataloger
Metadata Development Unit
Stanford University Libraries