[Heb-NACO] Fwd: conventional collective titles

Jasmin Nof jnof at upenn.edu
Mon Aug 13 10:13:33 EDT 2012

Hello, thanks for the opportunity to respond.

I question the mapping of "he'arot" [alef] to "aphorisms".  A
translation of "he'arah" is "illumination; clarification; explanation".
in other words, elucidation, whereas an "aphorism" is a "a short pithy
statement of truth/observation" (which, with time, has often become a
cliche.)  A review of recently published Hebrew works that have the
phrase "he'arot ['ayin] ve-he'arot [alef]" in the title yields books
that are mostly (only?) works of rabbinic commentary.

Otherwise the list looks good to me.

Thanks again and good luck, Jasmin

Jasmin Nof
Hebraica Cataloging Librarian