[Heb-NACO] Fwd: conventional collective titles

Jay Rovner jarovner at jtsa.edu
Thu Aug 16 11:08:18 EDT 2012

I think that pesakim would more properly be rendered as "decisions" or whatever legal term expresses the fact that a pesak is an individual's legal opinion, which is backed by his status/authority and may be considered binding by his disciples or a broader community.

The term kuntres is used of a minor publication, meaning a small monograph. A larger monograph may be entitled a kuntres by an author aspiring to humility. "pamphlet" does not capture the reasons one uses in entitling the work a kuntres.  "booklet" or "minor work" or a more elegant expression of the latter captures the intention of kuntres.

Shiurim may be lessons, not lectures, so one must use one's judgment.

           JR

Jay Rovner, PhD
Manuscript Bibliographer
The Library of The Jewish Theological Seminary
5501 Library
3080 Broadway
New York City, New York  10027
(212) 678-8045