[Ohiogift] "Common Core" - Implications for Gifted Students

asetteritz at aol.com asetteritz at aol.com
Sun May 26 10:07:15 EDT 2013

The illusion that Common Core eliminates the need for acceleration is promoted by those who have NOT BEEN IN THE CLASSROOM.  A regular classroom already has a HUGE range of ability/achievement levels, which makes differentiation very difficult. Throwing the accelerated students back into this mix worsens the situation for every student-- but especially for gifted students.   A classroom still has only ONE TEACHER who cannot-- no matter how knowledgeable and motivated---meet the needs of the disabled, average and gifted learners all at once.