[Ohiogift] "Common Core" - Implications for Gifted Students

Bohland, Mark mbohland at mvcsd.us
Sun May 26 09:44:13 EDT 2013

Susan said, "Since good curriculum for gifted and advanced learners should be tied to the district's and/or common core curriculum standards but using above grade level standards,..."

But according to Immutable Common Core doctrine (or maybe it is just a myth that MANY administrators and teachers believe) [and this is a DIRECT quote, that has been said to me multiple times] "Once common core is here, there won't be any more need for single subject acceleration. The *classroom [*word added by be] teachers will be able to take the gifted kids deeper..."

There are initial rumblings that sound like a question is being asked: "Now that we have common core, why do we need gifted?"

At risk of being burned at the stake for Immutable Common Core heresy, I must wonder aloud if the gifted community as a whole has any sense of what “common core” actually means for the education of gifted students.  I'm not sure I do.

Has there been state or national discussion/debate of the issue?  Have I just missed it? Has there been  something scholarly published that addressed the question?