MCLC: How Hollywood sucks up to China (5,6)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 13 10:10:21 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
How Hollywood sucks up to China (5,6)
I stand corrected! Many interesting points come out of this thread:
1. If the China piece came out of the novel, as Jimmy Howard states, then it seems we (not just Magnus and I, but lots of the US media) have already become convinced by all the media coverage on China’s financial involvement in Hollywood that any hint of China in any Hollywood movie is a quid pro quo, which means that no one can write anything about China into a film without raising that doubt. This is something to be concerned about.
2. I was completely fooled by the clever construction of Shanghai in Skyfall, probably also influenced by the above, but I was not at all convinced by The Martian’s representation of China. But I am right in recalling that the LA of the future in “Her” was filmed in Pudong, right?
3. In response to Sean’s comment, I think we’re talking about two different things. It’s not surprising that Hollywood has a history of changing films to meet the expectations of target audiences. They want to make a profit. But the current kerfuffle is about not whether Hollywood is nodding toward China for more success in the Chinese box office, but to submit to the direct and specific demands of Chinese investors. This may or may not be connected with box office expectations. That being said, there are a lot more ticket buyers in China than in the US.
Charles Laughlin <cal5m at eservices.virginia.edu>
I have not seen the movie, but I am not sure Hollywood is sucking up; the original novel includes a similar sequence of China saving the day.
Pieter Keulemans <paizek at yahoo.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 13, 2015