MCLC: Chinese Studies Research Group, Oct. 24

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 13 10:11:48 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Chinese Studies Research Group, Oct. 24
The University of San Francisco Center for Asia Pacific Studies welcomes interested faculty, independent scholars and graduate students to join us on Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015 for the 1st meeting of the 2015-2016 academic year of the Chinese Studies Research Group. This group is designed to create a sense of community among scholars of Chinese Studies in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our meetings are an opportunity to hear and discuss interesting research in progress from one faculty member and one doctoral candidate and to network with people with similar interests.
On Saturday, Oct. 24th we will meet from 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Speakers will present their research for 25-30 minutes and then answer questions for 20-25 minutes for a total of 50 minutes each.
Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015, 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
University of San Francisco, University Center (UC), 402/403
(See directions on the registration link)
Presentations:
"The Rise and Fall (and Rise again) of Vernacular Happiness in China"
Haiyan Lee, Associate Professor of Chinese and Comparative Literature, Stanford University
"Sounding the Nation: Dialect and the Making of Modern China"
Gina Anne Tam, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of History, Stanford University
Attendance is free and registration is not required.  RSVPs are helpful though as this allows us to plan for refreshments. To RSVP please click here:  http://bit.ly/1PaLalk
Please feel free to share this message with your colleagues and interested graduate students. If you are interested in presenting your research/work in progress to the group this year at one of our meetings, please contact the group's organizer, Melissa Dale @ mdale3 at usfca.edu
Melissa S. Dale, Ph.D.
Executive Director & Assistant Professor
Center for Asia Pacific Studies
University of San Francisco
2130 Fulton St., KA-180A
San Francisco, CA  94117-1080