MCLC: interviews on digital media

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 10 08:03:21 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Schneider, F.A. <f.a.schneider at hum.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject: interviews on digital media

Dear list members,

For my research project on "Digital Nationalism in China" I am currently
looking for interviewees located in or around Beijing who can offer
insights into the workings of Internet and social media communication in
today's China. The interviews are meant to be informal, open-ended
discussions (in Chinese or in English), and any participants will of
course remain anonymous in the final research output.

The purpose of the interviews is two-fold: firstly, to establish how
digital media content is generally created in China today. For this, I am
hoping to speak to media workers, media analysts, policy-makers, and
administrators who can describe the financial constraints and market
pressures under which digital media companies work, the legal framework
within which digital media is created, and any potential industry
standards or technical concerns that may influence decisions. I'd also be
interested to hear their personal assessment regarding the role digital
media play in China today.

Secondly, and more specifically, I am hoping to speak to creators of
digital media content on China's web to see what practical concerns inform
their design and content choices: which content is considered
"successful"? When do web creators decide to "link" to information
off-site? When and where do content creators "digitize" existing content,
when do they create novel content specifically for the web? How is web
content connected to social media channels like Weibo or Weixin? How do
websites and blogs incorporate feedback and comments from other web users?
And so on. Aside from appreciating any input from web providers, bloggers,
moderators, and other content creators, I would particularly be interested
to speak to media workers who create content that relates to the
historical relations with Japan (e.g. the Nanjing Massacre, the Diaoyu
islands, etc.), though this is of course not a requirement.

I will be in Beijing until mid-August and can be reached most easily via
email (f.a.schneider at hum.leidenuniv.nl or shiruojian at hotmail.com). My
local mobile number during this stay is: 13718603503. Any help or advice
is much appreciated.

Florian

基于我的项目“中国数字民族主义”,目前我正在寻找住在北京及其周边的对当今中国网络
及社交媒体传播有一定了解的受访者做一些调研。访问都是用中文或者英文进行
非正式、开放式的讨论。当然,所有的受访者在我最后的研究成果里都是匿名的,以保证
其隐私安全。

我此次调研的的目的有两个:其一,了解数字媒体内容大体上是怎么在当今中国建立起来
的。基于这个目的,我希望能够对媒体从业人员、媒体分析家、政策制定者以及行
政官员进行采访。希望他们能够阐述数字媒体公司运作中的金融管制和市场压力,数字媒
体产生的法律框架以及任何可能影响这些决定的潜在的工业标准和技术支撑。另
外,我也很乐意知道他们对数字媒体在当今中国中所扮演的角色的一些个人评价。

其二,更具体地说,我希望能够和中国网页数字媒体内容的编辑者进行交流,以便了解哪些
实际的考虑会影响他们对内容的选择和设计。访谈的内容将涉及到以下问题:在
网络编辑中,哪些内容被认为是“成功”的?什么时候网络编辑者会将原网页链接其它网页
信息?网页内容编辑者会在什么时候、什么地点对已经存在的一些内容进行数字
化?什么情况下他们会特别针对网页创造一些新的内容?网页内容是怎么和微博、微信等
社交媒体联系起来的?网站和博客是怎么从其他网页用户中合并反馈和评论的?对
于网络提供者、博主、版主和其他一些内容的创作者的任何帮助,我将不胜感激。如果有
可能的话,我也非常希望能和从事中日历史关系内容(如南京大屠杀、钓鱼岛等
等)创作或者编辑的媒体人员进行交流。当然这并不是对此次调研对象的必须要求。

我会一直呆在北京直至八月中旬。您可以通过电子邮件最快地联系到我。我的电子邮件
为:f.a.schneider at hum.leidenuniv.nl 或者
shiruojian at hotmail.com。在北京期间我暂时使用的手机号码是13718603503。我将非常
感激您对我的任何帮助和建议。

Dr. Florian Schneider
Lecturer for the Politics of Modern China
Managing Editor of the academic journal Asiascape: Digital Asia
Chinese Department, Leiden University Institute of Area Studies
Arsenaalstraat 1, Room 009

P.O.Box 9515
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands