MCLC: children's books?

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 29 09:36:03 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Judith M. Amory <jmamory at post.harvard.edu>
Subject: children's books?

I've been asked to find some contemporary reading matter in Chinese for my
grandchildren, aged 9 and 11. Their reading level in Chinese is about 4th
grade. Unfortunately, getting books from Taiwan, where they have a large
family, won't work, because they have been taught only jiantizi. I'm aware
that the most popular childrens' books in China are translations, like
Harry Potter, but that obviously wouldn't work either.

What I'm looking for is fiction about children at school, friendships,
etc. (like "Harriet the Spy"), or, alternatively, adventure stories. But
without ultra-nationalist content, which might be a problem.

I'm hoping some of you have Chinese speaking children that age, and can
make some recommendations. I'm hoping for something they won't be able to
put down!

Many thanks in advance,

Judy Amory (jmamory at post.harvard.edu)