[Vwoolf] "The Pursuit of Love" - trigger alert

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 22 16:01:13 EDT 2021

To tie in with (take advantage of?) the recent TV dramatisation – I haven’t seen it, but I’m against it – Penguin have reprinted this 1945 novel:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/2555/the-pursuit-of-love/9780241991848.html__;!!KGKeukY!g-veBCGykbv6DVy4TWnyg3mfAsH-Q9X7XeQTT3L_MmIJn1FJ4xYEyNlSbS1SLVodzZ4$

Wandering around Tesco’s – quite an adventure after all these months – why oh why did they have to rearrange the shop in the middle of a pandemic, so that people couldn’t find what they were looking for, and thus spend more dangerous time hunting for what they wanted? – I spotted this edition.

I forgot how easy it is nowadays to take a photo on the spot, so I regret that I didn’t take a snap of the trigger warning, along the lines of: There are expressions and opinions in this book that were offensive then and are offensive now.  It has been decided not to censor them out.  If we had done so, readers wouldn’t know that such expressions and opinions were ever, er, expressed and opinionated.

I regret even more that I don’t any longer have a copy of "The Pursuit of Love" – not enough to buy one from Tesco’s, though.  I now feel towards it as people did towards “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” pre-1960, and anticipate frissons when I finally get to reread it.