[Vwoolf] announcing the publication of *Virginia Woolf and Poetry*

Emily Kopley emily.kopley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 15:53:24 EDT 2021

Dear All,

I'm happy to announce that my first book, *Virginia Woolf and Poetry
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://global.oup.com/academic/product/virginia-woolf-and-poetry-9780198850861?cc=us&lang=en&__;!!KGKeukY!nioOcWR0-2jgNQmYUC-j72g3Bm3TYjIjLay_JTiVBAxzhxSgj1fnGY-8unRYiTHybEk$ >*,
is out today (June 10) from Oxford UP, in a happy coincidence with the
first day of the annual Woolf conference. I'm attaching here a flyer that
offers a discount; the discount count can be used by anyone and never
expires.

I argue that Woolf's career was shaped by her impression of the conflict
between poetry and the novel, a conflict she often figured as one between
masculine and feminine, old and new, bound and free. In large part for
feminist reasons, Woolf promoted the triumph of the novel over poetry, even
as she adapted some of poetry's techniques for the novel in order to
portray the inner life. Woolf considered poetry *the* rival form to the
novel. A monograph on Woolf's sense of genre rivalry thus offers a thorough
reinterpretation of the motivations and aims of her canonical work. Drawing
on unpublished archival material and little-known publications, the book
combines biography, book history, formal analysis, genetic criticism,
source study, and feminist literary history. Woolf's attitude towards
poetry is framed within contexts of wide scholarly interest: the decline of
the lyric poem, the rise of the novel, the gendered associations with these
two genres, elegy in prose and verse, and the history of English
Studies. *Virginia
Woolf and Poetry* makes three important contributions. It clarifies a major
prompt for Woolf's poetic prose. It exposes the genre rivalry that was
creatively generative to many modernist writers. And it details how holding
an ideology of a genre can shape literary debates and aesthetics.

The Woolf community has been a huge source of intellectual help and
personal joy as I worked on this book. Thank you.

Best,
Emily