[Vwoolf] Mills College petition

Diane Reynolds diane at olneyfriends.org
Wed Apr 14 18:50:42 EDT 2021

I signed this, but not without pause. I was an adjunct English and religion professor for some years, until it became clear the extent to which I was being exploited. I would just like to say that I, like others,  have seen this kind of situation coming for years and wish more faculty in secure or “secure” positions had more forcefully joined with adjuncts (not just in feeling sorry for us) years ago-- and maybe we could have all worked together to prevent these travesties. Woolf “got” this.

 I also know young women who have gone to Mills and that it was important to them—such cultures can’t replaced once they are gone. That’s the tragedy. A small Jesuit college near me recently closed its doors: all that gave it life and meaning, such as a peace center, is gone, replaced by a vocational training school. I hope something can still be done at Mills—I know it was at Sweet Briar.