[Vwoolf] New book: Character and Mourning

Erin Penner ekp23 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 29 16:39:00 EDT 2019

Hello, Woolfians,

The University of Virginia Press just published my book, *Character and
Mourning: Woolf, Faulkner, and the Novel Elegy of the First World War*.
This email is, first and foremost, a thank you to all who have heard pieces
of this project and who have written scholarly work that informs it.

In the book, I lean hard on *The Waves, Jacob’s Room*, and *Mrs.
Dalloway, *each
of which I pair with a novel by Faulkner.  Together, the novelists develop
what I consider a novel elegy in response to the First World War, one that
fights for space alongside the war poets and negotiates a new relationship
between combatants and civilians that is crucial once the war ends.

I'm attaching a flyer for any who might find the book useful and who would
like to take advantage of the publisher discount.

With thanks again for the wonderful support from this community,

Erin

--

Erin Kay Penner, Ph.D.

Author of *Character and Mourning: Woolf, Faulkner, and the Novel Elegy of
the First World War* <https://www.upress.virginia.edu/title/5153>

Department of English

Asbury University

One Macklem Drive