[Vwoolf] New book: Character and Mourning

Molly Patricia Hite mph7 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 29 18:14:20 EDT 2019

Brava!!!!!  I’m excited about reading it.  Molly Hite

On Aug 29, 2019, at 1:39 PM, Erin Penner via Vwoolf <vwoolf at lists.osu.edu<mailto:vwoolf at lists.osu.edu>> wrote:

Hello, Woolfians,

The University of Virginia Press just published my book, Character and Mourning: Woolf, Faulkner, and the Novel Elegy of the First World War.  This email is, first and foremost, a thank you to all who have heard pieces of this project and who have written scholarly work that informs it.

In the book, I lean hard on The Waves, Jacob’s Room, and Mrs. Dalloway, each of which I pair with a novel by Faulkner.  Together, the novelists develop what I consider a novel elegy in response to the First World War, one that fights for space alongside the war poets and negotiates a new relationship between combatants and civilians that is crucial once the war ends.

I'm attaching a flyer for any who might find the book useful and who would like to take advantage of the publisher discount.

With thanks again for the wonderful support from this community,

Erin

--
Erin Kay Penner, Ph.D.
Author of Character and Mourning: Woolf, Faulkner, and the Novel Elegy of the First World War<https://www.upress.virginia.edu/title/5153>