[Vwoolf] DRAFT CFP: “Railway Stations, 1914-1945”

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 21 09:24:18 EST 2018

I hadn’t realised that finding a topic for a conference was so easy . . .

Railway Stations are an essential part of how we conceptualize history, literature, culture, and art. See, for example, Henry Green’s paradigmatic Party Going (1939).

We welcome proposals that engage with the various forms and meanings of Railway Stations in the 1914-1945 period, across disciplines and media, on research and/or pedagogy.

Possible topics include:

Railway Stations and production (economy, labour, Britain’s General Strike, the assembly line)

Railway Stations and cabaret, the avant-garde, Dada

Railway Stations and exhibitions (visual arts, art history, museums, collections, world fairs, colonial expositions)

Railway Stations and the future (International Expo of Art and Technology in Modern Life, the talkies)

Railway Stations and design (Ideal Home Show, moderne, the railway track)

Railway Stations and travel (travel writing, refugees, evacuees, soldiers)

Railway Stations and intersections (migration, transnationalism)

Railway Stations and coups (fascism, communism, radical suffrage)

Railway Stations and disasters (the Holocaust, the influenza pandemic, war)

Railway Stations and the nation (representations, developing histories, colonialism, politics)

Railway Stations as sites of spectacle, hoax, extravaganza

Please send to the John Betjeman Society, c/o St Pancras Station, abstracts of no more than 300 words by 1 December 2018. Submissions should include the author’s name, affiliation, and contact information. Submissions that use term, Train Station, will not be considered.