[Vwoolf] Woolf and Joanna Scott

Michael Lackey lacke010 at morris.umn.edu
Tue Nov 20 17:00:30 EST 2018

Joanna Scott has written some fascinating biographical novels. Her most
recent one is titled *Careers for Women*, and it is based primarily on Lee
K. Jaffe, the woman who envisioned the Twin Towers. In a recent interview,
Scott says that she got the title of her novel from Woolf: "I learned that
Virginia Woolf once planned a book, and she called it *Professions for
Women*. She wanted to think just about this. She had given a talk to a
group of women who were working, and she was thinking about how the
identity of women would change as gender equality--she said something about
how we can't really know what women can do until they have access to every
field available, open to human skill. She never wrote that book, *Professions
for Women*. So in some ways I wanted to pick up where she left off, if
that's possible, if that's allowed."

For lovers of Woolf and her writings, this novel is definitely worth the
read.

All Best,
michael

--
Michael Lackey
Distinguished McKnight University Professor