[Vwoolf] "Centering around" telling a story

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 1 15:30:01 EDT 2018

Abstract. My project aims at conceptualizing and implementing a com-putational storytelling system that derives creativity from an iterativecycle of simulation-based engagement and constraint-modifying reflec-tion. It approaches this problem by first developing a computationalmodel of stories that is grounded in narratological research, more specif-ically in mimetic, post-structuralist approaches centered around fictionalcharacters. In the second stage, this narratological grounding will allowto measure and reason about the quality of a modeled story based ona formal notion called tellability. In the last stage, the parameter spacethat is set up by this representation can be explored in search for tellablestories, which are hypothesized to be of higher quality.Abstract. My project aims at conceptualizing and implementing a com-putational storytelling system that derives creativity from an iterativecycle of simulation-based engagement and constraint-modifying reflec-tion. It approaches this problem by first developing a computationalmodel of stories that is grounded in narratological research, more specif-ically in mimetic, post-structuralist approaches centered around fictionalcharacters. In the second stage, this narratological grounding will allowto measure and reason about the quality of a modeled story based ona formal notion called tellability. In the last stage, the parameter spacethat is set up by this representation can be explored in search for tellablestories, which are hypothesized to be of higher quality.
“Abstract.

My project aims at conceptualizing and implementing a computational storytelling system that derives creativity from an iterative cycle of simulation-based engagement and constraint-modifying reflection. It approaches this problem by first developing a computational model of stories that is grounded in narratological research, more specifically in mimetic, post-structuralist approaches centered around fictional characters. In the second stage, this narratological grounding will allow to measure and reason about the quality of a modeled story based on a formal notion called tellability. In the last stage, the parameter space that is set up by this representation can be explored in search for tellable stories, which are hypothesized to be of higher quality.”

Thank goodness, Virginia Woolf didn’t tell stories, for I wouldn’t be able to understand them.
Stuart