[Vwoolf] wikipedia

Ellen Moody ellen.moody at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 13:00:50 EST 2018

I discover one must hit "reply to all" to reach everyone on the list as
well as the person's posting you are responding to.

I'd like to mention that for Wikipedia, it's at its best in areas where
there is least controversy, especially of the social sexual type. I can
well believe that an article on Indo-Greek Kingdom (*c*.200 BC–AD 10) would
be close to impeccable. But try Darwin, Charles and see what you come up. I
used to assign selection from his Voyage of the Beagle and I too wanted to
ban Wikipedia.  Woolf as a woman, as bisexual or a lesbian, as a radical
experimenter in fiction, is the sort of figure who attracts Wikipedia
fights within entries.

I've seen this in other "minor" women of the 19th century -- especially
actresses' autobiographies. But there are many controversial issues where
Wikipedia becomes problematic. Events around which nationalistic feelings
swirl is another one.

Ellen