[Vwoolf] wikipedia

Margaret Tudeau mtudeau at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 1 09:10:05 EST 2018

Dear all,

Ellen's message was very helpful as I have been wondering whether a
message would be received by all the list if I respond to another
individual member. As this appears not to be the case I am writing again
to the list to thank those of you who responded to  my suggestion about
correcting wikipedia and other web sites on Woolf.  To a question from
Patricia as to how we might proceed I  suggest that anyone who has come
across questionable information should draw attention to it and if
necessary ask for advice from the community. The example (from the entry
on 'Ellipsis') that I mentioned in my first message doesn't require
input as it is simply a matter of correcting the erroneous reference to
'The Mark on the Wall' (instead of 'An Unwritten Novel'). I would,
however, be interested to hear what other members think of the paragraph
on 'Mary Hamilton and A Room of One's Own' in the entry on the ballad
Mary Hamilton, which I enclose.
continue to use Wikipeda despite our efforts to 'ban them', I would
recommend this review in the TLS of May 26, 2016 by Oxford scholar Peter
Thonemann who comments:"Like many university lecturers, I used to warn my own students off
using Wikipedia (as pointless an injunction as telling them not to use
Google, or not to leave their essay to the last minute). I finally gave
up doing so about three years ago, after reading a paper by an expert on
South Asian coinage in which the author described the Wikipedia entry on
the Indo-Greek Kingdom (*c*.200 BC–AD 10) as the most reliable overview
of Indo-Greek history to be found anywhere – quite true, though not
necessarily as much of a compliment to Wikipedia as you might think."
His conclusion — "Instead of grumbling, perhaps we ought to spend a bit
more time editing Wikipedia ourselves" — is what prompted me to send out
my original mail to the list!See https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/encyclopedic-knowledge/

I look forward to hearing from members.

best wishes,
Margaret