[Vwoolf] black priests

Jane deGay J.deGay at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 08:27:15 EDT 2018

Given that the ‘black priests’ in Jacob’s Room are in Italy, they are certain to be Catholic. But many priests from other denominations at the time also wore black, something that became particularly popular with the Anglo-Catholics, who were on the increase. A non-Catholic version of a ‘black priest’ would be the Anglican Mr Bax from The Voyage Out, 'a stout black figure ... with a preoccupied expression', 'large and fat' with a face that looks 'smooth and white like a very large egg.'  (Intriguingly, then, a black figure with a white face.)

Incidentally, there is an age-old tradition of describing religious by colours, usually the colours of their clothing: hence the Blackfriars (Dominicans, with black cloaks), Greyfriars (Franciscans) and Whitefriars (Carmelites).

Jane

Jane de Gay
Professor of English Literature

Virginia Woolf and Christian Culture<https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-virginia-woolf-and-christian-culture-hb.html> (Edinburgh University Press, forthcoming June 2018)
Virginia Woolf's Novels and the Literary Past<https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-virginia-woolf-039-s-novels-and-the-literary-past-hb.html> (Edinburgh University Press, 2006)
Organizer of the International Virginia Woolf Conference 2016<https://virginiawoolf2016.wordpress.com/>

Leeds Trinity University, Horsforth, Leeds, LS18 5HD
+44 (0) 113 283 7329  |  Email j.degay at leedstrinity.ac.uk  |  leedstrinity.ac.uk

[cid:image015.jpg at 01D3E086.F3A7DB60]<http://www.leedstrinity.ac.uk/>      [cid:image016.png at 01D3E086.F3A7DB60] <https://twitter.com/LeedsTrinity>   [cid:image017.png at 01D3E086.F3A7DB60] <https://www.facebook.com/leedstrinity>   [cid:image018.png at 01D3E086.F3A7DB60] <https://www.youtube.com/leedstrinity>