[Vwoolf] black priests

Erica Delsandro ericadelsandro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 05:39:24 EDT 2018

Hello!

If I am not mistaken, black robes or black priests refers to Jesuit
priests, who were known for their missionary work.  I am not sure if this
adds anything to the conversation, but just in case it is useful, I thought
I'd share.

All best! -- EGD

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 5:28 AM, Jeremy Hawthorn via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> I had always assumed that "black priests" referred to Catholic priests,
> although on reflection the vestments they wore / wear are no blacker than
> those protestant priests wear (are they?).
>
> Partridge's *Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English* (my edition
> is the 8th) gives a couple of perhaps relevant entries.
>
> *black-beetle. *(2) A priest: lower classes: C. 20. Also, Mrs C Raab
> adds, used by English-speaking Roman Catholic seminarians. Ex. black
> clothes.
>
> *black fly.* Pej. for a clergyman: ca. 1780-1850. (Grose, 2nded.) Esp. in
> relation to farmers, who, on account of the tithes, dislike clergymen more
> than they do insect pests.
>
> Perhaps my assumption that the black priests were specifically Catholic
> ones was based on the fact that at the time Woolf was writing, in
> continental Europe, Catholic priests seemed never to appear in public in
> non-clerical clothes, as Anglican priests often did in Britain (with only
> the dog collar as a marker). But the entry for black fly clearly relates to
> Protestant priests (although in an earlier period).
>
> Jeremy H

*EGD*

*she/her/hers*