[Vwoolf] Date of Mrs. Dalloway

Beja, Morris beja.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 15 11:32:18 EDT 2017

Hi,
I sent the message below yesterday, but I gather it didn’t actually go out. So another try . . . .
Murray

I might as well cite here some of my evidence for the date of June 20, which seems to me pretty clear cut. As I express it in my edition of Mrs. Dalloway, we explicitly learn that the day of he novel is a Wednesday, and that it is 1923; “moreover, Clarissa wonders if the ‘crush’ of traffic is due to Ascot . . . which in 1923 ran from Tuesday, 19 June, to Friday, 22 June . . . . Gold Cup Day, on which the most coveted trophy is contested, falls on the Thursday. The results of cricket matches noted by both Septimus and Peter are those they would have seen in a newspaper for 20 June 1923 . . . .” (I go on to cite the London Times.) See Morris Beja, ed., Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway (Shakespeare Head Press Edition of Virginia Woolf). Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1996.