[Vwoolf] Mrs Dalloway & geography

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Tue Apr 12 07:06:03 EDT 2016

Dear all,

I may be wrong, but this is a very odd map which has Septimus living quite
near to Clarissa. This is not the case. He lives in Bloomsbury, not
Westminster.

The impression--widely shared--that Elizabeth's bus passes Septimus' window
and that they might have seen each other derives as much from the
movie of *Mrs.
Dalloway*--where it is quite a striking and beautiful panning shot--as from
the book.

There are some really enticing textual clues that point us in this
direction--the bus itself, Elizabeth and Septimus both overhearing street
music--but Septimus is in Bloomsbury and Elizabeth is heading up the
Strand. I looked and looked, but I couldn't make the map work.

Best,

Anne

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Jeremy Hawthorn <jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no>
wrote:

> A colleague who is teaching *Mrs Dalloway* fired a question inspired
> partly by this useful resource:
>
> http://mrsdallowaymappingproject.weebly.com/septimus-and-rezia.html
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mrsdallowaymappingproject.weebly.com_septimus-2Dand-2Drezia.html&d=CwMCaQ&c=aqMfXOEvEJQh2iQMCb7Wy8l0sPnURkcqADc2guUW8IM&r=k1OoytuRmrU4MiIwbI-7ElFohPGR5Vr0JxDyMjG9DsI&m=kGeBwjMcsgW2pAVhtybHdviFJP0VWp_7xHabFRht4r0&s=oS0nnohRg8XeIoObGqJRvXuQola-HYumFu5Xaisz15A&e=>
>
> As my colleague says, this links Victoria Street to Septimus's place of
> death (point 7), and also suggests that immediately prior to his death
> Septimus can see an omnibus carrying Elizabeth: "During this time, Septimus
> is gazing outside the window of his home and sees the omnibus in the
> distance" (point 6).
>
> But the only textual evidence I can find for this is Septimus's
> consciousness registering that the light and shadow "now made the omnibuses
> bright yellow." And anyway, Elizabeth has got off the (first) omnibus now,
> has "turned back down the Strand", and has mounted (presumably another)
> omnibus. I can't find any evidence that Septimus actually sees a specific
> bus carrying Elizabeth (note the plural, the omnibus*es* are bright
> yellow).
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Jeremy Hawthorn

Anne E. Fernald <http://www.fordham.edu/info/24101/anne_fernald>
Professor of English and Women's Studies
President of the Faculty Senate
Fordham University
fernald at fordham.edu
Cunniffe 117
718-817-3014 (Senate office, Rose Hill)

Lowenstein 921B
212-636-7613 (Department office, Lincoln Center)

*Mrs. Dalloway, now available from Cambridge UP*
<http://www.cambridge.org/9781107028784>