[Vwoolf] Lolly Willowes and A Room of One's Own Query/Woolf and Downton

JENNIFER P NESBITT jpn12 at psu.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:25:29 EDT 2016

Woolfians,

Every time I read STW's Lolly Willowes (1926) I am struck by the fact that
the novel anticipates not only the ideas but even the wording of Woolf's
injunction that "a woman must have money and a room of her own . . ."
(1929).  We know that the two women knew each other, but I have not found
any evidence of direct influence nor any scholarship addressing the
similarity.  Was this idea, even the phrasing, floating around feminist
circles in the 20s?  Coincidence?  Superficially rather than
genealogically related?

On a completely different note, my essay on Virginia Woolf's truncated
appearance on Downton Abbey has just appeared in The Journal of Popular
Culture, off the beaten path for most Woolf studies:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jpcu.12404/full.

Best,

Jen

Jennifer P. Nesbitt
Associate Professor of English, Penn State York
Discipline Coordinator in English, University Colleges, Penn State