[Vwoolf] Mrs Dalloway & geography

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Apr 12 05:29:44 EDT 2016

A colleague who is teaching /Mrs Dalloway/ fired a question inspired
partly by this useful resource:

http://mrsdallowaymappingproject.weebly.com/septimus-and-rezia.html

As my colleague says, this links Victoria Street to Septimus's place of
death (point 7), and also suggests that immediately prior to his death
Septimus can see an omnibus carrying Elizabeth: "During this time,
Septimus is gazing outside the window of his home and sees the omnibus
in the distance" (point 6).

But the only textual evidence I can find for this is Septimus's
consciousness registering that the light and shadow "now made the
omnibuses bright yellow." And anyway, Elizabeth has got off the (first)
omnibus now, has "turned back down the Strand", and has mounted
(presumably another) omnibus. I can't find any evidence that Septimus
actually sees a specific bus carrying Elizabeth (note the plural, the
omnibus_es_ are bright yellow).

Or am I missing something?

Jeremy Hawthorn