[Vwoolf] Testimonies in Art & Action: Igniting Pacifism in the Face of Total War

Ashley Foster ashleyfoster at me.com
Fri Sep 25 10:44:56 EDT 2015

Dear Woolf community,

You are all invited to attend the opening of a digital humanities and Special Collections exhibition entitled “Testimonies in Art & Action: Igniting Pacifism in the Face of Total War” in Magill Library at Haverford College, Haverford, PA.  The opening reception will be preceded by a panel discussion of distinguished scholars Jessica Berman, Farah Mendlesohn, Jean Mills, and Paul Saint-Amour, entitled "Three Guineas, Pacifist Activism, and the Event of Total War.”  This event might be of particular interest to the Woolf community because the student digital humanities projects offer intertextual close readings of Three Guineas. For more information, please visit https://www.haverford.edu/hcah/center/events/three-guineas. I have also attached a poster to this email.  If you have any questions about the event, please email ashleyfoster at me.com or jafoster at haverford.edu.  I hope to see you there!

All the best,
J. Ashley Foster

 Testimonies in Art & Action: Igniting Pacifism in the Face of Total War, featuring the roundtable panel presentation “Three Guineas, Pacifist Activism, and the Event of Total War”

 Abstract of event:

Please join us for an evening of ethical inquiry and pacifist thinking with the launch of the student digital humanities and Special Collections exhibition Testimonies in Art & Action: Igniting Pacifism in the Face of Total War, and a roundtable panel discussion Three Guineas, Pacifist Activism, and the Event of Total War, featuring Distinguished Visitors Jessica Berman, Farah Mendlesohn, Jean Mills, and Paul Saint-Amour.   This event aims to create a scholarly discussion concerning the themes of pacifism, activism, writing and ethics, forms of resistance to total war, and social justice during the interwar period. It seeks to construct a space in which we can think through some of the ways that alternative pacifist narratives have protested the onslaught of total war in the twentieth century, challenging the notion that the only way to fight force is with force.

Testimonies in Art & Action: Igniting Pacifism in the Face of Total War forges a historical juncture with our present moment, illuminating how philosophies of non-violence contained in art, literature, and action have been mobilized to stage a critical intervention in a progressively militarizing population.  This show juxtaposes primary source materials from the Quaker relief work in Spain, much of which is from Haverford’s own Quaker & Special Collections, with student digital humanities projects that explore the peace testimonies embedded in the literature and art from the interwar period.  These projects offer intertextual readings of Langston Hughes’s Spanish Civil War poems, Pablo Picasso’s Guernica, Muriel Rukeyser’s “Mediterranean,” and Virginia Woolf’s Three Guineas.  Testimonies in Art & Action recuperates lost pacifist histories and reminds us that there is still a call to embody pacifist views in politics and in the events that are unfolding daily into history.

Time/place:

  Roundtable panel: 4:00-6:00 on Tuesday, October 6 in the Philips Wing, Magill Library at Haverford College, Haverford, PA

Exhibition Opening: 6:00-7:30 on Tuesday, October 6 in the Sharpless Gallery, Magill Library at Haverford College, Haverford, PA

Website and more information:

https://www.haverford.edu/hcah/center/events/three-guineas