[Vwoolf] grilled bone

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Sun May 24 12:43:00 EDT 2015

Dear all,

I don't have an answer so much as a methodological suggestion: the French
is secondary to the English. What you need to know is what a bourgeois
Londoner expected to see on his/her plate when s/he ordered "grilled bone."

Bone marrow would not surprise me at all. A quick scan of my reprint of The
Gentle Art of Cookery, 1925, reveals no recipes for anything called grilled
bone, but that's the kind of source (i.e. cookery books from the teens and
twenties) that I'd look to.

Anne

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Jeremy Hawthorn <jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no>
wrote:

>  Searched LiteratureOnline and also Google. Two unrevealing hits in 19th
> century plays, two in novels apart from Woolf. And one hit that suggests
> that it might be bone marrow.
>
> Ellipses thanks to LiteratureOnline.
>
> Jeremy H
>
> 1. .... "Should you like eggs, sir?" "Eggs, no! Bring me a grilled bone...
> ...." "What would you think of me if I came down two hours after every one
> else and ordered grilled bone...
> ... the smell of grilled bone." "Not at all. It describes a sensation in
> your little nose...
> ... the answers, as if they were pinching his toes. That's his way. Ah,
> here comes my grilled bone...  (*Middlemarch* Book 1, chapter 11)
>

> 2. ... all the parties home to Pall Mall, to celebrate the event with a
> grilled bone, Havannahs, and Regent's ... (Disraeli, *Vivian Grey*.
> Volume 2, Book  the fourth, chapter vi)
>
> 3. "Queen Victoria was another roasted bone marrow lover, reputedly eating
> it every day.
>
> See:
> <http://leitesculinaria.com/78928/recipes-roasted-bone-marrow.html#1F41v5EzbT1WX2W5.99>
> <http://leitesculinaria.com/78928/recipes-roasted-bone-marrow.html#1F41v5EzbT1WX2W5.99>

Anne E. Fernald
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
President of the Faculty Senate
Fordham University
fernald at fordham.edu

*Mrs. Dalloway, now available from Cambridge UP*
<http://www.cambridge.org/9781107028784>