[Vwoolf] grilled bone

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Sun May 24 12:59:21 EDT 2015

Here's an example from A. A. Milne, so nearer the date of /Jacob's
Room/. What is frustrating about this is that it might be mocking the
maid for believing that grilled bone is grilling what's left of the
joint when there's no meat left, or it might really be this. I suspect
the former.

Jeremy

Nancy: (Without looking up.) Yes, Mary?
Mary: It's about the dinner, ma'am.
Nancy: (With a sigh.) Yes, I was afraid it was.
It isn't a very nice subject to talk about, is it, Mary?
Mary: Well, ma'am, it has its awkwardness like.
Nancy: (After a pause, but not very hopefully.)
How is the joint looking?
Mary: Well, it's past looking like anything very much.
Nancy: Well, there's the bone. Mary: Yes, there's the bone.
Nancy: (Gaily.) Well, there we are, Mary. Soup.
Mary: If you remember, maam, we had soup yesterday.
Nancy: (Wistfully.) Couldn't you " couldn't you squeeze it again, Mary ?
Mary: It's past squeezing, ma'am " in this world
Nancy: I was reading in a book the other day about two people who went
out to dinner one night " they always dine late in books, Mary " and
ordered a grilled bone. It seemed such a funny thing to have, when they
had everything else to choose from. I suppose our ...
Mary: Grilling wouldn't do it no good, ma'am.
Nancy: (Trying to be fair.) Well, I suppose we mustn't blame it. It has
been a good joint to us.
Mary: A good stayer, as you might say.
Nancy: Yes. Well, I suppose we shall have to get another.
Mary: Yes, ma'am.

(Milne, A. A. Three Plays: The Dover Road, the Truth About Blayds, the
Great Broxopp. 1922. Reprint. London: Forgotten Books, 2013. 194-5. Print.)