[Vwoolf] R: Open Access

Nora Malone nora.malone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:20:47 EST 2014

For what it's worth, a little perspective from the other side of the aisle.
I work as professional editor (not a faculty member, but paid staff) at a
large university press in the US, and have spent my career in publishing. I
edit an academic journal in the social sciences (not open access).

First, I would just like to emphasize that publishing costs money, even if
it happens online. There seems to be this myth that if you remove paper
from the equation, all of the other costs associated with publishing will
magically vanish, but that is simply not true. Open access journals still
have costs (hosting a website, maintaining a website, updating a website,
communicating with authors and reviewers if they use them, probably some
minimal permissions and fact-checking work), most of which get pushed to
authors. Some get pushed to authors in an obvious way through the
publication fee that authors must pay, and others get pushed to authors in
less obvious ways (for example, the need to solicit a professional copy
editor yourself if the journal doesn't provide one, or, I suppose, the
converse cost of risking having typos and grammatical errors in work
published under your name).

I would also question the motivation of a journal with a financial model
based on author fees. It would seem to me that, in order to make money, the
journal would want to publish as many articles as possible without paying
much regard to their quality. Contrast that with a traditional subscription
model, which motivates a journal to publish only the best articles in order
to maintain and build its subscription base. Sometimes, the decisions a
traditional journal makes might mean that good articles never see the light
of day, perhaps because they would only appeal to a very small number of
scholars or because they don't have big-name authors. But most of the time,
I would argue, traditional journals are just aiming to provide readers with
the very best scholarship, whether by rejecting articles that don't do much
to advance knowledge or by helping authors of promising but problematic
articles to undergo rigorous revisions.

The call to make scholarship available to students and researchers at all
universities, not just those who can afford it, is an important moral
imperative. But, given the tight margins that most traditional publishers
are dealing with, I worry that open access journals will undercut
traditional publishing to the point of near-extinction. In fact, in the US,
many university presses have already been shut down. I would urge you all
to keep in mind the role that university presses like Oxford University
Press and the University of Chicago have played in professionalizing
editorial work and establishing and maintaining editorial standards that
reach far beyond academic publishing. I think, for example, of the editors
at the University of Chicago Press whose day-to-day work serves as the
basis for their regular updates to the Chicago Manual of Style (one of the
most commonly used guides for writing and editing in the US). What happens
to the state of written communication if those editors lose their jobs? If
we stop paying for editorial work, will professional editors cease to
exist? I would argue that, if people feel that traditional journals have
higher standards than open access journals, it is because, at least for
now, they mostly do. (Something like this, for example, could never happen
at a traditional journal:
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/11/24/scientific-paper-of-the-day/) So
how much are we willing to satisfice on the quality of writing, layout, and
rhetoric in order to make scholarship more freely available (or how much
will we be forced to by budgetary constraints)? Or is there a way for open
access journals to exist alongside traditional journals without financially
undercutting them? I will be interested to see what the new ruling in the
UK means for traditional publishing.

Nora