[Vwoolf] R: Open Access

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Wed Nov 26 03:09:04 EST 2014

I would just like to register my agreement with everything that Nora M
writes. There are publishers and publishers. Even among commercial
publishers there are companies that treat their authors well and that
play a crucial role in maintaining academic standards through peer
review, effective copy editing and so on. And let's not forget marketing
. . . I firmly believe that there is a special place in heaven for
editors and copy editors - a place where there are no typos, spelling
mistakes or grammatical errors. Or complaining authors.

But commercial publishers are not immune from the pressures of the
market. I wrote a textbook back in the 80s which is still appearing in
new editions, but the company publishing it has changed hands through
takeovers 5 times. And the role of predatory commercial publishers that,
following the lead of Robert Maxwell in Britain in the 60s and 70s,
bought up important peer-reviewed journals and then jacked up the price
to what the market would take (and more) should not be ignored. 30 years
ago I think that the average British academic library spent 80% plus of
its money on books. I think that it is now under 20%. Cartels of
publishers won't allow university libraries to subscribe to individual
journals: you either subscribe to a full list, or no deal. And once
libraries have subscribed to very expensive journals in medicine,
technology and hard science there is not much left for the humanities.

Against this backdrop the role of university presses is even more
crucial than it was in the past, In the US more such presses have
survived; in the UK there are few left. Their importance should be
recognised and their position defended.

Jeremy H