[Vwoolf] Leonard Woolf as copy editor

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Oct 29 09:00:06 EDT 2013

Fascinating information. Writers do seem to vary enormously when it
comes to such things, with some checking every comma and semi-colon at
every stage of the publishing process, and others - well, leaving it to
spouses and copy editors. As Mark implies, such matters do impact on
theories of textual editing. It does seem to me that if a writer leaves
the fine-tuning of - say - punctuation to a copy editor, then this has
to impact on matters of scholarly editing. Getting back to the "final
authorial version" may not be as appropriate in such cases as it is
where the writer wanted control over ever tiny detail right through to
publication. On the other hand, as anyone who has had their writing
copy-edited knows, leaving the final check of your punctuation to
someone else must on occasions result in changes of meaning.

Jeremy H

--
Professor Jeremy Hawthorn
Emeritus Professor