[Vwoolf] Leonard Woolf as copy editor

Mark Hussey mhussey at verizon.net
Fri Oct 25 08:20:19 EDT 2013

No, VW was quite sloppy and LW copy edited her texts. In The Death of the
Moth and Other Essays (1942), Leonard wrote of his having “punctuated and
corrected obvious verbal mistakes. I have not hesitated to do this, since I
always revised the MSS. of her books and articles in this way before they
were published.”

Of course, as recent textual editing theory has taught us, editing is always
interpretation!