[Vwoolf] staging female author suicides

Melanie White melanie.white at comcast.net
Sun Jun 23 16:58:37 EDT 2013

More on this:

http://jezebel.com/why-are-we-so-fascinated-with-female-suicides-514393082

From: vwoolf-bounces at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:vwoolf-bounces at lists.service.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of William
Bain
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:49 AM
To: vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: [Vwoolf] staging female author suicides

This thought provoking discussion has made me think

a lot about Virginia Woolf's own work and her ideas

on similar themes. There is, obviously, her remarkable

openness, passages where she speaks of a desire for

a very widely inclusive art. Certainly art (a polysemous

word) us open to criticism (another), and I agree with

much of what's being said here. At the same time being

somewhat astounded as to the length of the discussion.

At the end of the day I think of Virginia Woolf's own

artistic devices, things like the opening of _Orlando_.

This is not to compare the book with the _Vice_ send-up,

or at least not to suggest they're on much equal footing.

I think it does bring home Woolf's stranging devices. And

it perhaps suggests a difference in technique between

visual and written. Thanks for the discussion,

Best wishes, wb