[Vwoolf] staging female author suicides

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 03:49:01 EDT 2013

This thought provoking discussion has made me think
a lot about Virginia Woolf's own work and her ideas
on similar themes. There is, obviously, her remarkable
openness, passages where she speaks of a desire for
a very widely inclusive art. Certainly art (a polysemous
word) us open to criticism (another), and I agree with
much of what's being said here. At the same time being
somewhat astounded as to the length of the discussion.
At the end of the day I think of Virginia Woolf's own
artistic devices, things like the opening of _Orlando_.
This is not to compare the book with the _Vice_ send-up,
or at least not to suggest they're on much equal footing.
I think it does bring home Woolf's stranging devices. And
it perhaps suggests a difference in technique between
visual and written. Thanks for the discussion,

Best wishes, wb