[Vwoolf] Darlings, am I a snob?

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Sep 18 03:08:56 EDT 2012

The "colonial" is presumably a man, and presumably white. The (old) OED
is not very helpful here, and has more on the word's American reference
pre-independence.

I suspect that a South African is unlikely as an Afrikaaner would
probably not be in a London pub and a South African with a British
background would probably not want to have a go at the British monarchy.
Ditto white settlers from the rest of Africa. A Canadian is possible,
but although I suggested it, a man from Quebec is much more likely to
want to be in Paris than in London. How likely it is that a Canadian not
from Quebec would be likely to insult the House of Windsor at this time
I'm not sure.  An Anglo-Indian (if that is the term) would, if my
reading of Forster has any weight, be also be pretty unlikely to be
insulting the House of Windsor.  There are other possibilities, but this
does leave Australia and New Zealand as the main options. I have a fuzzy
sense that republicanism was more of a live issue in Australia than New
Zealand at this time, but am prepared to be corrected. And Australians,
however unfairly, are still associated with (a) pubs and (b) speaking
their minds. (As Russell Crowe put it once it an interview I saw on TV -
"I like the occasional drink".)

Does Woolf use "Colonial" in this sense elsewhere? I find myself
wondering whether the word really was used at this time as a patronising
generaliser for all (white) inhabitants of any British colony, or
whether it rather served as a euphemism for those who came from a
particular colony or group of colonies. This is where corpus analysis
might be illuminating.

Jeremy

Jeremy Hawthorn
Emeritus professor