[STEM-funding] NSF CAREER; NIH Cancer Education; NSF I-Corps L webinar

Christopher Andersen andersen.18 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 26 12:07:29 EDT 2015

*To be added to the stem-funding listserv or to manage your listserv
subscription, visit *

*1)* NSF has released a revised solicitation for the *Faculty Early Career
Development (CAREER)* program and a new FAQ (
http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2015/nsf15057/nsf15057.jsp). From the program
synopsis (http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503214):

The Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program is a Foundation-wide
activity that offers the National Science Foundation's most prestigious
awards in support of junior faculty who exemplify the role of
teacher-scholars through outstanding research, excellent education and the
integration of education and research within the context of the mission of
their organizations. Such activities should build a firm foundation for a
lifetime of leadership in integrating education and research. NSF
encourages submission of CAREER proposals from junior faculty members at
all CAREER-eligible organizations and especially encourages women, members
of underrepresented minority groups, and persons with disabilities to apply.

Proposal due dates vary by area: July 21 (BIO, CISE, EHR), July 22 (ENG),
July 23 (GEO, MPS, SBE).

STEM Initiatives and the Office of Research offer a series of programs to
assist Ohio State faculty who are preparing NSF CAREER Award proposals.
Coming up next week:

*Developing Your NSF CAREER Integrated Research/Education Plan*
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
1:00–3:00pm
Smith Seminar Room, 1080 Physics Research Building
This workshop focuses on the outreach/education/diversity portion of the
NSF CAREER proposal, including strategies for partnering with Ohio State
and community resources that collaborate with prospective CAREER applicants
on outreach to schools and the public, development of courses, and
recruitment of students from underrepresented groups. Register at the
Office of Research website (
http://researchcalendar.osu.edu/index.php?eID=706).

More information about the NSF CAREER program is available on the STEM
Initiatives website: http://go.osu.edu/nsfcareer

*2)* NIH has reissued three *Cancer Education Grants Program (R25)* funding
opportunities for "creative educational activities" that support the
overall mission of the National Cancer Institute:

   - *Curriculum or Methods Development* (
   http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-15-150.html)
   $100,000/year in direct costs over 3 years.
   - *Courses for Skills Development *(
   http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-15-151.html)
   $300,000/year in direct costs over 5 years.
   - * Research Experiences* (
   http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-15-152.html)
   $300,000/year in direct costs over 5 years.

Proposal submissions will follow the NIH Standard Due Dates (
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/submissionschedule.htm), with the next
round due May 25.

*3)* Webinar Thursday, March 26 at 3pm for the *NSF Innovation Corps for
Learning (I-Corps L)* program (described below). Login information:

AUDIO WILL BE DELIVERED VIA TELEPHONE ONLY.
Call Verizon Toll-free:    1-800-593-8976     or     Toll: 1-630-395-0366.
Announce passcode: IC0rps4L
To view real-time captions, go to www.fedrcc.us and enter event
confirmation # 2575691

TO JOIN THE VIDEO PORTION OF THE WEBINAR
You can join either as a panelist or attendee
To join as a panelist:
1. Go to (you may join 60 minutes before the event start time):
https://nsfevents.webex.com/nsfevents/onstage/g.php?MTID=ef0abbd572c5cc932bfb81b33de91562e
2. Click "Join Now". Event password: IC0rps4L

If you experience a problem joining the event as a panelist, you can join
as an attendee.
To join the event as an attendee
1. Go to (you may join 60 minutes before the event start time).
https://nsfevents.webex.com/nsfevents/onstage/g.php?MTID=e320354048fe7a23a743351c60c44edfe
2. Click "Join Now". Event password: IC0rps4L

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Christopher Andersen <andersen.18 at osu.edu>
> wrote:

*The NSF Innovation Corps Teams (I-Corps Teams)* program provides support
for commercialization of NSF basic research (http://www.nsf.gov/funding
/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504672). A recent "Dear Colleague" letter highlights
the inclusion of learning innovations into the I-Corps program *(I-Corps
for Learning)* (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2015/nsf15050/nsf15050.jsp):

To challenge NSF researchers to think beyond their research results and
toward broader adoption of STEM education and learning innovations, NSF's
Innovation Corps Teams Program will encourage proposals that take
discoveries and promising practices from education research and development
and promote opportunities for widespread adoption, adaptation, and
utilization. I-Corps for Learning (I-Corps L) Teams will receive support -
in the form of mentoring and funding - to accelerate innovation in learning
that can be successfully scaled, in a sustainable manner.

Awards are $50,000 over 6 months (F&A is limited to $5000). Proposals are
due April 15.

 [image: The Ohio State University]
Christopher Andersen
Director
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Initiatives
186 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall, Columbus, OH 43210-1335 USA
andersen.18 at osu.edu
Looking for upcoming STEM outreach activities? Visit
http://stemoutreach.osu.edu
Education, diversity, & outreach resources for faculty & staff at
http://steminitiatives.osu.edu
Support STEM Initiatives through OSU Foundation fund 315007
<https://www.giveto.osu.edu/makeagift/?fund=315007>

<http://stemoutreach.osu.edu/>

*STEM Initiatives social media*
*Facebook:* http://www.facebook.com/stem.initiatives