MCLC: MLA structural reform update

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 8 09:22:38 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Lupke, Christopher <lupke at wsu.edu>
Subject: MLA structural reform update

Dear Colleagues:

Some of you may remember I sent out a previous message about a major
reform being undertaken by the Modern Language Association (MLA) that will
result in part in a much more prominent role for East Asian language,
literary and cultural studies in the organization. After several months of
public discussion, the committee charged with this task has posted its
first revision. For us, the latest version includes seven fora (the
proposed new nomenclature is to use the word “forum” instead of “division”
or “group”):

Pre-14th Century Chinese
Ming and Qing Chinese
Modern and Contemporary Chinese

Japanese to 1900
Japanese since 1900

Korean

East Asian (under Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies)

I encourage members of the MLA to make comments on the MLA Commons website
where the complete proposals can be seen. There also will be one session
devoted to discussion of the new structure at the convention: Thursday,
January 9, 5:15-6:30 pm in Chicago VI, Sheraton Chicago. I also encourage
non-members to consider becoming members of the MLA, because it is now
clear to me that the MLA is intent on an inclusive attitude toward East
Asian languages, and literary and cultural studies.

Sincerely,

Christopher Lupke
Washington State University