MCLC: Sandalwood Death review (10,11)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 8 09:22:10 EST 2014

MCLC LIST
From: E Goodman <eleanor.goodman at fulbrightmail.org>
Subject: Sandalwood Death review (10)

If I might add my voice to the fray, Professor Denton's point about
crediting the translator(s) is absolutely key. It has long struck me as
odd that journals whose raison d'être is to publish translated work -
including wonderful ones such as WLT, CLT, and Pathlight - do not print
their translators' names on the cover or in some other prominent position.
This is a disservice not only to translators but to readers, who are
encouraged to float in the hazy misapprehension that literary works in
other languages come to them by some divine miracle, or, even worse, that
everything ever written was written in English. We might all take a lesson
from Asymptote, which, at least on its title page, lists the translator
and original language along with the title of the piece and the author's
name. Why isn't that standard practice?

Eleanor Goodman

From: jonathan stalling <stalling at ou.edu>>
Subject: Sandalwood Death review (11)

Dear all,

I apologize if my posts have at any time focused too pointedly on the
issue of Xiao’s book review, though I certainly hope my post did not
constitute a “struggle session” as I had only meant to signal an occasion
to reflect on the general need to do more (on most every level) to promote
a greater awareness of the theoretical (hermeneuitic/semiotic), social
(cultural capital), and financial (living wages) elements of translation
etc (and I think that this is the underlying messages of others [Lucas,
Canaan, etc] as well). Although I did explore these issues through the
opportunities made available in the LARB review, please let me state that
I am unequivocally grateful for LARB’s reviewing Sandalwood Death, and I
am also grateful for Professor Xiao’s work more generally. I feel it is
essential to stress that CLT’s mission is to advocate for not only Chinese
authors and translators, but literary critics as well (that is to say, all
critics who spend their critical lives inside the study of contemporary
Chinese literature), and so I do want to be clear that my “review-review
comments”  should have been more rigorously developed within this broader
context of Chinese literary advocacy that I believe wholeheartedly in.

I am, however, quite glad to see the MCLC list discussing the role of
translation in what we do (in writing and teaching). Perhaps we could
share tips about how we explore translation issues in our classrooms and
other arenas. But as an editor, I also wanted to acknowledge Kirk’s
insightful and helpful comment about placing translator credit lines at
the beginning of an article, alongside the authors’. CLT decided three
months ago to move translator credit lines to the heading, a change that
will be adopted in our next issue. But I cannot take credit for this
shift. CLT Assistant Editor Julie Shilling sent me this email in Nov.