MCLC: humor in China sources

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 23 08:27:06 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Barak Kushner <bk284 at cam.ac.uk>
Subject: humor in China sources

Dear MCLC list members,

Recent list discussions here about Chinese humor and the comment the other
day about Zhang Ga, boy soldier, a long-standing motif in Chinese popular
culture, made me think that some members might enjoy knowing about two
recent books on the larger topic of Chinese humor. (To be candid, I have a
chapter in the modern times volume.)

For reference the volumes are:

1. Jessica Davis and Jocelyn Chey, eds., Humour in Chinese Life and
Culture: Resistance and Control in Modern Times, Hong Kong University
Press, 2013.

2. Jessica Davis and Jocelyn Chey, eds., Humour in Chinese Life and
Letters: Classical and Traditional Approaches, Hong Kong University Press,
2011.

all the best,
Barak