MCLC: rising China needs new national story (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 16 08:55:52 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: rising China needs new national story (1)

I have heard this before, especially by "foreigners" who, perhaps because
able to read the narrative from outside, detect a certain obviousness in
the telling.

I can't help but think of one figure from the revolutionary period, Wu
Qionghua and/or Wu Qinghua from The Red Detachment of Women. After seeing
stills from the films, a colleague in German studies remarked that there
was something Christian about the imagery.

I don't think he was implying direct influence. But recall that this
mythic narrative opens up with the image of a young woman in chains
getting whipped by her oppressors.

Of course, this image of martyrdom is contrasted with expressions of
defiance. Hand on hip, one clenched fist reaching out.

Oppression, defiance, and finally liberation. Sure it isn't the Boston Tea
party, but it's just a different drama form, that's all.

Anyways, no matter what the politicians say, there are stories getting
generated right at this moment.

Sean