MCLC: Taipei demolition

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 5 10:22:10 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: martin winter (dujuan99 at gmail.com)
Subject: Taipei demolition

The Taipei Times has an in-depth, 2-parts report on demolitions close to
the Chiang Kaishek Memorial Hall. It reminds me very much of conditions in
China. Not much physical violence, but abusing rather defenseless people
for "squatting on a gold mine". I walked through the neighborhood in
February 2012 and talked to an old woman. They were mostly elderly
residents. It was a run-down neighborhood, one commenter concedes, but is
that enough excuse for treating people this way?

The articles are too long to be posted here. They should be accessible
from Beijing (I posted the links on Weibo, something you can't do with NY
Times articles), maybe from all of China.

Thanks for the links to Klaus Bardenhagen, who has been reporting from
Taiwan for years with many fascinating articles and videos!

Martin

Source: Taipei Times

(7/3/13):
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2013/07/03/2003566212