MCLC: Mo Yan wins the Nobel lit prize (17)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 20 08:42:03 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: posted by alexan olesen <AOlesen at ap.org>
Subject: Mo Yan wins the Nobel lit prize (17)

Didi Tatlow asked me to post this response to Jonathan Stalling.

Alexa

It's curious to me how commentators have failed to note the historical
context of my initial post on the International Herald Tribune's
Rendezvous site, where I recounted some of my experiences of the Frankfurt
Book Fair in 2009, which I attended as a member of the Hong Kong writer's
delegation. The notes I made at the time are now obviously three years
old, and by clearly labeling them as such in the piece I gave readers
every opportunity to situate them in their historical context. As I said,
the fair was a low point for Chinese writing. Let's hope better days
follow.

Re the use of the word "famous" (specifically, "famously") to refer to my
final question in the piece, readers, again, need to think a bit. This is
a QUESTION. It invited answers. As a question, it did not tell people what
to think. It invited people to offer reasoned responses. I do not think it
was hyperbolic, though I do agree it was provocative. Rendezvous is an
online site of the IHT, its "global conversation", a "community" site, and
we often pose questions at the end of pieces that sum up some of the
issues in the piece. It's all in the spirit of open debate and exchange,
which is the lifeblood of democracy.

Mr. Stalling seems upset that I did not mention that Mo Yan won the Newman
prize previously. Naturally I was aware of this, but the column was not
intended to be a list of which prizes the writers had won. Rather it was a
snapshot: 3 prizes, 3 writers, one moment in time. I have just 850 words
to play with. What is not germane falls away.

Mr. Stalling also seems upset that I used the quote from Li Changchun, as
if this were somehow unfair. I disagree. Given the context of the prize
(the first Chinese Nobel winner the Party approves of, etc.) I think it's
necessary and fair to show how the politics surrounding it are being
expressed. That's uncomfortable for Mr. Mo, probably. But I can't do
anything about that. People may be interested in these directives from Mr.
Li's propaganda apparatus, issued on Oct. 12, courtesy of CDT. I think
they bring home the reality that we are faced with daily living in China:

国新办:各地各网站:关于莫言获诺贝尔文学奖事,要加大微博客、论坛、博客等关键环节
的监看力度,坚决删除借机抹黑党和政府、抹黑文化事业以及与刘晓波、高行健
获奖等相联系的有害信息。情节恶劣的帐号,一律禁言十天。周末要加强值班,把此项管
理工作作为重点。

I'm glad Mr. Stalling agreed that P.K. and Michelle Yeh were excellent
interviewees. I thought so too and am pleased I was able to discuss the
issues with them. They made great points in response to my questions.
Naturally I am aware of a range of issues surrounding Chinese writing.
What I write is to be taken as a whole. It's all pieces of the puzzle.

Overall, I'm sure these issues will continue to swirl, as they should.
Many await Mr. Mo's speech in Stockholm with interest. He is an
interesting man in an interesting position, and I wish him all the best. I
also hope for him that he is able to return to his writing with the
necessary focus and privacy that he needs, after everything is over.

That's all, folks. Thanks

Didi