MCLC: Peng Liyuan (1,2,3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 19 09:13:50 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Lily Lee <l.lee at sydney.edu.au>
Subject: Peng Liyuan (1)

It's ironic that in the early days of the Chinese Communist Party, there
were many prominent women such as Cai Chang, and Deng Yingchao, but as the
NYT article says, The higher their husbands climbed the Communist Party
ladder, the less visible they became. In the end they all ended up in the
Women's Federation. Not that the work of the Women's Federation was not
important, these women could contribute more.   It reminds me that there
is another rule about rising movements and women. In their early days
these movements welcome or at least tolerate women, but as their movements
grow stronger, women leaders would be replaced by men. That's why the CCP
has less and less women leaders as it is more and more entrenched, I think.

Lily

From: Colin Mackerras <c.mackerras at griffith.edu.au>
Subject: Peng Liyuan (2)

I think this article gives an unnecessarily bleak picture, though a lot of
what it says is accurate.

I don't want to argue the case in detail, but point out one error, which I
think is important and is often made.

Jacobs claims a gender imbalance of 118 men for every 100 women and
implies, very strongly, that this is the whole population. In fact, the
figure is the sex ratio at birth. That's shocking enough, since the "norm"
is of the order of 105 to 107, but it is not the same as the sex ratio in
the whole population. According to the 2010 census, there were 105.2 males
for every 100 females in the total population.

Best to all,

Colin

From: Han Meng <hanmeng at gmail.com>
Subject: Peng Liyuan (3)

Gee, why can't she play a more prominent role on the national stage? She's

known for her striking figure

and

such a beautiful wife

That's what counts, right?